What began as a week celebration in 2005 expanded to a full month in 2013. For the last five years, NCCER and its Build Your Future (BYF) initiative have celebrated October as Careers in Construction Month (CICM), with more and more states proclaiming each year. In 2018, 28 states and Guam have officially proclaimed CICM with another 7 states filing their proclamations, making this the highest participation yet!
Our goal is to fill in every state and U.S. territory on the map — if you live in one of the blank states or territories, proclaim today and let us know! Not sure where to start? Check out the Proclamation Guide and Whereas Statement on byf.org and send an email here when you’ve filed.
This nationwide campaign is designed to increase public awareness and inspire the next generation of construction craft professionals. Schools, contractors and organizations are encouraged to partner locally to host events or conduct activities that introduce students to rewarding construction careers. To make it easier for these groups to collaborate, a variety of resources have been created. Check out the following to get started:
- Find an industry or education partner in your area to partner with using NCCER’s Connection Map. The map includes a collection of educators, contractors, SkillsUSA organizations and ACTE state directors who are all looking to connect based on shared interests and needs.
- Take a look at BYF’s Careers in Construction Handbook to learn how to develop an event plan, come up with fun activities and promote the event.
- Download the How To Plan a Career Day guide to view a sample budget, save-the-date, event flier, sponsorship form, exhibitor form, school registration form, parent/guardian consent form, volunteer form, career day survey and helpful hints.
- Limited on time to host an event? BYF also has activities to do in class and craft trading cards to explore, which introduce a variety of construction careers.
- Make sure to register your event at byf.org for added promotion. Join the conversation on social media with #careersinconstructionmonth or #CICM and tag BYF in your posts!
With shortages of skilled craft professionals increasing across the country, now is the time to promote and support construction careers in every state. Take the time to appreciate all the hard working, highly-skilled men and women who build America and motivate our youth to choose a successful, lucrative career in the industry.