Few things will make an executive more pleased than a profitable year and a well-executed strategy. 2022 has made this executive very pleased. As I reflect on the successes of the year, the passion of the employees and volunteers propels us forward. The leadership of the C3 staff with our contracting partners is creating a higher quality, more employee-focused group of employers in commercial construction and you can see the progress towards a more safe, skilled, and sustainable craft professional workforce. We aren’t done yet but there is clearly some magic in what we accomplish.
But we don’t want to be smoke and mirrors or a man behind a curtain creating magic you can’t see. So let me give you a quick glimpse into what the talent of staff and volunteers brought to life this year.
· We started our 75th and 76th projects.
· We held our first annual workforce development conference for construction workforce professionals.
· We were awarded a second grant from Texas Mutual Insurance while executing against the grant from Workforce Solutions.
· Our staff had to grow to 10 people to accommodate the growing demand for our services
· We trained more than 300 individuals in mentoring and talent management and partnered with AGC to provide safety training for more than 100 more.
· We spoke at the Construction Owners Association of America (COAA) national conference to encourage other geographies to pursue an industry approach to workforce like the C3 way.
· We continued to endorse craft training programs, as well as help, build them with partnering contractors.
· We are hosting a pre-apprenticeship program in conjunction with Trio Talent that has been approved by the TEA for use in career and technical education statewide.
· We partnered with community partners to offer English for Construction to a variety of companies with the help of Chamberlin Roofing and Waterproofing.
· We launched a sponsorship program to encourage industry partners and participating contractors to join our mission.
Whew, 2022 was a record year! And man am I tired!!! I guess that is why we all need a break. Over the next few weeks, the staff will be celebrating family and traditions and might be a little slower to respond than normal, but we are all resting a bit before kicking off 2023 with a bang.
Pay attention to social media and our newsbrief for the rollout of a new website, additional blogging content, and more information about the 2023 #SHEbuildsHouston event in March. Additionally, we will be hosting a round table in January for the new EMERGE program for project participants that want to move to Accredited Employer but just aren’t sure how to start. Knowing my team, we will have a whole lot more in store as well. Make sure you follow us on social media and especially on LinkedIn to ensure you don’t miss anything 2023 has in store.
Angela Robbins Taylor