Ergodyne now offers a safety helmet equipped with the Multidirectional Impact Protection System (MIPS), a design to better isolate brain injury from shocks caused by falls or collisions. Ergodyne is now the second U.S. manufacturer to announce a MIPS-equipped safety helmet.
Ergodyne’s new helmet, under the Skullerz brand name, uses an isolated inner frame that can move independently of the helmet, which can reduce the rotational energy that can cause brain shear (where the brain is rattled inside the skull from an accident).
Most U.S. hardhats are designed to prevent head injury from falling objects.
However, according to the CEO of MIPS, Max Strandwitz, falling objects accounted for only about 16% of accidents, whereas fall accidents are closer to 60%.
Therefore, safety helmets that include MIPS technology ultimately give greater user protection.
In addition to the MIPS inner lining, the helmet includes a chin strap, which is standard on many European construction helmets, but is less common on American jobsites.
Ergodyne’s two newest Skullerz safety helmets include the:
Skullerz 8974-MIPS Class E Safety Helmet and the Skullerz 8975-MIPS Class C Safety Helmet, which both feature MIPS technology.
Features of the Skullerz 8975-MIPS Class C Safety helmet include:
- MIPS® ELEVATE SAFETY SYSTEM – Reduces the effect of angled impacts by decreasing rotational energy that can cause brain shear
- Suspension and shell design compliant to EN 12492 side impact testing requirements for improved all-over protection
- Chin strap secures helmet in place upon falling or sudden impact/movement
- Includes removable hard hat sweatband made of breathable, sweat-wicking and machine-washable materials
- Integrated, patent-pending headlamp slots on front and rear for use with the Skullerz Hard Hat LED Light
- Enhanced field of vision – Compact shell design increases visibility, particularly when looking up
- Flexible open frame with perforated MIPS safety system improves air circulation and adjustable venting allows for a cooler helmet in heat and a dry helmet in rain
- Easy adjustment – One-handed adjustment knob pivots to improve fit and clear bandana or ponytail knots
- Eye protection – Easy, bolt-on mounting of Skullerz 8991 Safety Helmet Visor (available as an accessory) for increased eye protection
- Fits most heads (hat sizes 6.5 – 8 / 21in – 25 in / 53cm – 63.5cm)
- Available in white and orange
- Tested for ANSI Z89.1-2014, CSA Z94.1-15, TYPE 1, Class E, EN12492:2012 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11, 4.2.2, 4.2.3, 4.2.4, EN397:2012+A1:2012 5.2.1, 5.2.4, 5.2.5.
To buy or learn more about Ergodyne’s new Skullerz safety helmets, or any Ergodyne products, contact a local UTF showroom in Houston at 713-692-2323; in San Antonio at 210-495-8665; or College Station at 979-731-8665.